What this means for you

So what does that mean?

The Safety Representative is one of the workers elected to the position by their peer’s. This elected representative is then sent on the safety representative courses which are run by various training providers.

You may request the safety representative to take concerns to management on your behalf .

You can also request them to be at meetings.

You need a minimum of one years underground experience to become a Safety Representative on your crew.

Any courses or inspections that the Safety Representative participates in can not lead to a loss of income for the representative. Your employer must pay you for your time at your normal rate of pay.

The professionals normally have their own safety group that can be lots of fun for the professionals if people do silly things like breaking their leg falling off a toilet seat.